Russia Launches Record-Breaking Aerial Assault on Ukraine

Editor
5 Min Read
Russian attack 2

Egypt Daily News – In a dramatic escalation of the war in Ukraine, Russia launched its most intense aerial assault to date overnight, targeting cities across Ukraine with a record 741 strikes. The massive offensive came just hours after former U.S. President Donald Trump publicly criticized Russian President Vladimir Putin, signaling a potential rift in their once-warm relationship.

According to Ukrainian officials, the unprecedented barrage included 728 kamikaze drones, primarily Iranian-designed Shahed models alongside seven Kh-101 and Iskander-K cruise missiles and six Kinzhal hypersonic missiles. The western Ukrainian cities of Lutsk and Ternopil were among the key targets.

In this photo provided by the Ukrainian Emergency Service, firefighters try to put out a fire following a Russian attack in Kyiv region, Ukraine, Sunday, May 25, 2025. (Ukrainian Emergency Service via AP)

The scale of the attack prompted a swift response from NATO, with Polish and allied fighter jets scrambled in anticipation of potential spillover into NATO airspace. Poland’s Armed Forces Command confirmed that all available defense resources, including air defense systems and reconnaissance operations, were put on high alert.

“This was the largest enemy attack using UAVs and missiles on our city and community,” Lutsk Mayor Ihor Polishchuk said. Fires and structural damage were reported, though there were no confirmed fatalities at the time of his statement.

In this photo provided by the Ukrainian Emergency Service, firefighters try to put out a fire following a Russian attack in Kyiv region, Ukraine, Sunday, May 25, 2025. (Ukrainian Emergency Service via AP)

Despite the ferocity of the assault, Ukraine’s air defenses claimed remarkable success. The Ukrainian Air Force reported intercepting 718 of the 741 aerial threats, including all seven cruise missiles. A combination of interceptor drones, electronic warfare systems, and mobile fire groups played a pivotal role in countering the onslaught.

President Volodymyr Zelensky praised the effectiveness of Ukraine’s air defense network, attributing the high interception rate to technological advancements and the dedication of Ukrainian forces. “Most of the targets were shot down,” he said. “There are dozens of hits from our interceptor drones and mobile fire groups. Thank you to all the soldiers for their accuracy.”

Explosion is seen after Russian air strike on Kyiv, Ukraine, on Friday, June 6, 2025. (AP Photo/Evgeniy Maloletka)

Explosions were reported in Kyiv, where at least one strike caused a large fireball and ignited warehouse fires in the surrounding region. Hypersonic missiles also hit targets in Zhytomyr. The Ukrainian president used the moment to urge Western allies to maintain pressure on Moscow.

“This is a demonstrative attack,” Zelensky said, calling out Russia for rejecting recent ceasefire proposals. He renewed his plea for harsher sanctions, particularly against Russian oil exports and the countries that facilitate them. “Anyone who wants peace must act.”

In a striking parallel development, Donald Trump spoke critically of Putin during a campaign event, saying, “We get a lot of [nonsense] thrown at us by Putin. He’s very nice all the time, but it turns out to be meaningless.” The comment appeared to signal a significant shift in tone from Trump, who has previously been accused of being overly conciliatory toward the Russian leader.

Russia’s Ministry of Defense claimed its forces had targeted military infrastructure in Ukraine, though some strikes hit civilian areas. Ukrainian counterattacks overnight were more limited but forced temporary closures at Moscow’s Sheremetyevo and Vnukovo airports.

Explosions were reported in the Russian cities of Zelenograd and Tula, as well as in the border region of Kursk. Russian authorities said that Ukrainian strikes in Kursk city killed three people and injured seven, including a five-year-old boy. These claims have not been independently verified.

The attack underscores a dangerous new phase in the conflict, now in its fourth year, as both sides signal a willingness to escalate. With Western powers closely monitoring the situation and NATO airspace on high alert, tensions in the region continue to mount.

Share This Article