Ahmed Kamel – Egypt Daily News
Egypt announced on Sunday that three of its citizens kidnapped in Mali have been safely released, following what officials described as intensive diplomatic coordination with authorities in Bamako. In a statement, the Foreign Ministry said the operation involved close cooperation between the Egyptian Embassy in Mali, state institutions in Cairo, and the ministry’s consular sector.
The ministry did not disclose the circumstances surrounding the men’s release or provide details on any negotiations, reflecting the sensitivity that often surrounds hostage situations in the Sahel region. It did, however, urge Egyptian nationals residing in Mali to observe local laws, keep their identification documents with them at all times, and exercise heightened caution. The statement also advised Egyptians to avoid travel outside the capital for the time being due to ongoing security risks.
The incident gained international attention earlier this month when Jama’at Nusrat al-Islam wal-Muslimin (JNIM), an al-Qaeda–linked militant coalition active across the Sahel, claimed responsibility for kidnapping the three Egyptian nationals in western Mali. Reports from regional and international media indicated that the group had demanded a $5 million ransom. JNIM has been responsible for a series of abductions in recent months, targeting foreign nationals including Indians and Chinese workers, using ransom payments to help fund its operations.
Formed in 2017 from the merger of several extremist factions, JNIM has since entrenched itself as one of the most active insurgent groups in the region. The United States designated the organization as a foreign terrorist entity in 2018, adding its leader, Iyad Ag Ghaly, to the global terrorist list.
The release of the Egyptian hostages comes as Mali continues to grapple with widespread insecurity, especially in its central and northern regions where militant groups operate with increasing sophistication. While Sunday’s announcement was welcomed in Cairo, it also underscored the ongoing risks for foreign nationals working in or traveling through Mali, a country where kidnappings have become a key tool for financing armed groups.
Egypt has not indicated whether it plans additional measures to support or evacuate its citizens in Mali, but officials emphasized that precautions remain essential given the volatile security landscape. The government said it will continue monitoring the situation closely through its diplomatic mission in Bamako.
