Houthis announce the targeting of Israel in support of Gaza and in response to the American aircraft carrier airstrikes

Editor
5 Min Read
Yahya Saree - Houthis spokesman

Egypt Daily News – The Houthis, “Ansar Allah,” announced that they targeted Israeli sites with missile strikes, including Ben Gurion Airport, as well as an American aircraft carrier. The group’s spokesperson, Yahya Saree, stated, “The missile force targeted Ben Gurion Airport with a ballistic missile and a military target south of occupied Jaffa.” Saree added that the attack also targeted the “American aircraft carrier Truman” in the Red Sea as a “response to the American aggression” on Yemen.

The Houthis in Yemen claimed they launched two attacks on Israeli targets on Thursday. The group’s military spokesperson, Yahya Saree, said in a statement, “The first attack targeted Ben Gurion Airport, and the second was carried out against a military target south of occupied Jaffa.”

Saree reported that the attacks were carried out with two ballistic missiles, one of which was hypersonic. He also mentioned that another attack targeted “several enemy warships in the Red Sea, including the American aircraft carrier Truman, with a number of missiles and drones.”

Earlier, the Israeli army said it intercepted two missiles fired from Yemen before they entered Israeli territory. Sirens went off across wide areas of Israel after the missiles were detected being launched from Yemen.

This was the seventh such attack on Israel from Yemen since Israel resumed its bombardment of Gaza on March 18.

According to Yedioth Ahronoth, two ballistic missiles were fired from Yemen, and intercepting missiles were launched to counter them. “Large debris” from the interception missiles fell in the “Tel Gezer” area. The newspaper reported that Ben Gurion Airport was closed following the sirens, and flights on their way were forced to fly over the sea.

This attack marks the seventh of its kind from Yemen since Israel resumed its war on Gaza.

The Houthi group had targeted Israeli sites last Sunday with a missile, which the Israeli army claimed it intercepted. They also targeted Ben Gurion Airport last Saturday with a hypersonic ballistic missile of the “Palestine 2” type. The Houthi military spokesperson stated on Wednesday that “military targets of the Israeli enemy in the occupied Yaffa area” were hit with several drones, achieving the operation’s goals successfully, without specifying the time of the attack.

American airstrikes on Yemen

The Houthi group announced earlier on Thursday that two people were killed and others wounded in a series of American airstrikes targeting areas around the capital, Sana’a, at night.

The Houthi-run Al-Masirah channel reported that around 20 airstrikes were carried out in Sana’a Governorate, both north and south of the capital. The channel also reported new strikes early Thursday in Saada, in the northern part of the country. This region had been targeted by 17 airstrikes on Wednesday, according to Yemeni media outlets.

The American airstrikes resulted in the deaths of 53 people, including women and children, according to Houthi-affiliated media, while Washington announced it had killed a number of senior Houthi officials.

The United States, a close ally of Israel, announced on March 15 that it had launched a military operation against the Houthis to stop their attacks on ships in the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden, which are crucial waterways for global trade.

In response, the Houthis claimed to have carried out multiple attacks on the U.S. destroyer “USS Harry Truman” off the coast of Yemen.

Since the outbreak of the war in Gaza, the Houthis have declared their intention to target Israeli ships and those heading to Israeli ports in support of the Palestinians, until Israel halts its bombardment of the Gaza Strip.

Share This Article