Ahmed Kamel – Egypt Daily News
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has signed off on a highly controversial plan to expand settlements in the occupied West Bank, specifically in the E1 area near Jerusalem, a move that could effectively divide the West Bank and permanently derail hopes for a geographically contiguous Palestinian state.
The announcement came late Thursday during Netanyahu’s visit to the settlement of Ma’ale Adumim, where he confirmed that thousands of new housing units would be constructed under the E1 development project. “There will never be a Palestinian state,” Netanyahu declared. “This land is ours. We will preserve our heritage, our land, and our security.”
E1 Plan and Regional Impact
The E1 plan long condemned by the international community, is seen as a red line by many governments and organizations. It would connect Ma’ale Adumim with Jerusalem while severing the northern and southern parts of the West Bank, making a future contiguous Palestinian state nearly impossible.
Last month, Israel’s Ministry of Defense Planning Committee gave final approval to the E1 expansion project, triggering international alarm. The United Nations Secretary-General condemned the move, warning that continued settlement activity violates international law and directly undermines U.N. resolutions.
“The advancement of the E1 project threatens the viability of the two-state solution,” the U.N. chief said, adding that the settlements, including those in East Jerusalem pose a serious threat to the geographic and political continuity of the occupied Palestinian territories.
He reiterated his call for Israel to immediately halt all settlement expansion and to honor its obligations under international law and the advisory opinion issued by the International Court of Justice on July 19, 2024.
Palestinian Response
In response to Netanyahu’s remarks, Palestinian Authority official Hussein al-Sheikh stated, “A Palestinian state is inevitable.” He emphasized that “military force will not alter the historical trajectory toward Palestinian statehood.”
The settlement expansion comes amid an ongoing and bloody war in Gaza, where Israeli forces have intensified operations as part of what they are calling the next phase of Operation Gideon’s Chariots 2.
WHO Remains in Gaza Despite Evacuation Orders
As the Israeli military dropped leaflets and issued warnings urging civilians to evacuate Gaza City, the World Health Organization (WHO) announced it would remain in the city alongside its humanitarian partners.
“To the people of Gaza: WHO and our partners are still in Gaza City,” the organization said in a post on X (formerly Twitter), defying Israel’s orders for immediate evacuation to the southern part of the strip.
The Israeli army stated that it was preparing for a large-scale assault to retake control of Gaza City and eliminate Hamas forces entrenched there. The military reported launching three waves of airstrikes in a single day, targeting more than 360 locations. Key targets included reconnaissance and sniper positions, tunnel shafts, weapons storage sites, RPG and mortar workshops, and internal Hamas security centers, particularly in the neighborhoods of al-Daraj, al-Tuffah, and al-Furkan.
Israel claims its operations are focused on crippling Hamas infrastructure and leadership, but international aid organizations warn that the humanitarian fallout is catastrophic.
Mass Displacement and Humanitarian Concerns
More than 200,000 residents have reportedly fled Gaza City toward the south following Israeli warnings, according to Israel’s Army Radio. However, the WHO has criticized the so-called “humanitarian zone” designated by Israel in al-Mawasi, near Khan Younis, stating it is already overstretched and incapable of supporting new waves of displaced civilians.
The United Nations estimates that around one million people currently live in and around Gaza City, many of whom have already been displaced multiple times since the war began.
“The humanitarian zone lacks the size and capacity to accommodate existing populations, let alone new arrivals,” the WHO said, expressing “deep concern” over Israel’s evacuation orders.
A Broader Escalation
The expansion of settlements in the West Bank and the intensifying military campaign in Gaza appear to be part of a broader Israeli strategy to reshape the geopolitical map, potentially closing the door on the two-state solution. a principle that has been the foundation of decades of peace negotiations.
The presence of far-right ministers, such as Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich, alongside Netanyahu during the E1 announcement underscores the ideological unity within the current Israeli government around eliminating prospects for Palestinian statehood. Smotrich has previously declared, “The Palestinian state is off the table not in words, but in deeds.”
As the violence escalates and the political discourse hardens, international observers warn that the region is entering one of its most volatile periods in decades, with the risk of broader regional conflict growing by the day.
