Ahmed Kamel – Egypt Daily News
U.S. President Donald Trump has suggested that the ongoing war between Israel and Hamas in the Gaza Strip could come to an end within the next few weeks. Speaking from the Oval Office during a meeting with South Korean President Lee Jae-myung on Monday, President Trump revealed that he has been in close communication with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu regarding the conflict.
“We’re speaking intensively,” President Trump said, referring to his discussions with Netanyahu. “I told him that this war needs to end soon.” He added optimistically, “I believe that within the next two or three weeks, we will see a good and decisive conclusion.”
While President Trump did not offer specific details on how the conflict might be resolved, his comments come amid an escalation of Israel’s military operations in Gaza, particularly in Gaza City, which Israeli officials have described as one of Hamas’s last major strongholds.
President Trump acknowledged the historical and deep-rooted nature of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. “It’s hard to say when it ends these sides have been fighting for thousands of years,” he said. “I think we’re doing a very good job, but it must come to a close. At the same time, people cannot forget what happened on October 7,” he added, referencing the Hamas-led attacks on Israel in 2023 that marked the start of the current war.
The President also highlighted the efforts of U.S. Special Envoy to the Middle East, Steve Witkoff, who is working to secure the release of hostages still held in Gaza and to facilitate the delivery of food and humanitarian aid amid a worsening humanitarian crisis. According to aid organizations, Gaza is facing critical shortages of food, medicine, and basic supplies as the conflict drags on.
Despite President Trump’s assertion of an imminent resolution, the reality on the ground suggests continued escalation. The Israeli military has intensified its operations in Gaza City, with plans to mobilize 60,000 additional reservists and extend the service of 20,000 already deployed soldiers.
Israeli military spokesperson Efi Dvirin confirmed last week that the army has already begun preparations for a broader campaign in Gaza’s northern regions, signaling that heavy fighting may still lie ahead before any political or diplomatic breakthrough is achieved.
As the humanitarian toll mounts and international pressure increases, the prospect of a “good and decisive” end to the war remains uncertain. Nevertheless, President Trump’s remarks hint at behind-the-scenes diplomatic efforts that may shape the next phase of the Gaza conflict.
