U.S. Proposes Hezbollah Disarmament by Year-End in Landmark Lebanon-Israel Peace Framework

Editor
7 Min Read
Lebanese gov meeting

Ahmed Kamel – Egypt Daily News

A detailed American proposal has been presented to the Lebanese government, calling for the full disarmament of Hezbollah by the end of 2025, in exchange for a phased Israeli military withdrawal from southern Lebanon and the cessation of all hostilities. The plan, reviewed by Reuters and discussed during a recent Lebanese Cabinet meeting, represents the most comprehensive international effort to date to address Hezbollah’s armed status and establish a lasting ceasefire along the Lebanon-Israel border.

According to documents, the plan was delivered by Tom Barrack, a special envoy of former U.S. President Donald Trump, and lays out a four-stage roadmap aimed at de-escalating tensions, ending Israeli military operations, and bringing all weapons under state control in Lebanon.

A Controversial Blueprint

The proposal’s key objectives include the dismantling of all non-state armed groups chief among them Hezbollah the deployment of the Lebanese Armed Forces (LAF) along border and key internal areas, and the eventual demarcation of Lebanon’s borders with both Israel and Syria. Also included are provisions for indirect negotiations over prisoner releases and support for post-conflict reconstruction.

During Thursday’s Cabinet session in Beirut, Lebanese Information Minister Paul Morcos confirmed that the government had approved the general aims of the proposal, albeit with modifications introduced by Lebanese officials. “We agreed on the principles laid out in the American document regarding the reinforcement of the ceasefire agreement,” Morcos said. “We are now waiting for the army to deliver a detailed implementation plan.”

Crucially, he added, “We agreed to end all armed presence across the country, including Hezbollah, and to deploy the Lebanese army to the border regions.”

Hezbollah and Allies Walk Out

Though Hezbollah has not officially commented on the U.S. proposal, sources told Reuters that ministers affiliated with Hezbollah and its Shiite allies walked out of the Cabinet meeting in protest over the discussion. The move reflects the party’s longstanding refusal to entertain any disarmament initiatives, which it views as attempts to weaken Lebanon’s defensive posture in favor of Israeli and American interests.

Hezbollah’s political bloc, Loyalty to the Resistance, had earlier condemned any attempt to target its weapons, calling such efforts a “free service to the Israeli enemy” and warning that stripping Lebanon of its defense capabilities would leave the country vulnerable to aggression. The group maintains that its arsenal is essential to deterring Israeli attacks, especially amid what it sees as ongoing violations of Lebanese sovereignty and near-daily military escalations along the border.

Details of the Four-Stage Plan

The American plan, described as urgent due to rising violations of the current ceasefire agreement, unfolds in four main phases:

  1. Phase One (Within 15 days): The Lebanese government would issue a formal decree committing to the complete disarmament of Hezbollah by December 31, 2025. In parallel, Israel would cease all military operations land, air, and sea inside Lebanon.
  2. Phase Two (Within 60 days): Lebanon would begin implementing the disarmament strategy, backed by a detailed army deployment plan to absorb and control all weapons within the state structure. Israel would begin withdrawing from five contested positions in southern Lebanon and initiate the release of Lebanese detainees in coordination with the International Committee of the Red Cross.
  3. Phase Three (Within 90 days): Israel would complete its withdrawal from the final two of the five positions, enabling the beginning of infrastructure rehabilitation in Lebanon, including rubble removal and early reconstruction efforts.
  4. Phase Four (Within 120 days): Hezbollah would be required to dismantle all remaining heavy weaponry, including long-range missiles and drones. In support of this final phase, the United States, Saudi Arabia, France, Qatar, and other friendly nations would convene an international conference to launch a major economic aid and reconstruction package. The goal, as framed by the American proposal, is to “implement President Trump’s vision of a prosperous Lebanon capable of growth.”

International Silence and Domestic Division

Neither the U.S. State Department nor the Israeli government has officially commented on the proposal. The lack of public response highlights the sensitivity surrounding the initiative, particularly as Hezbollah remains a dominant force within Lebanon’s political and military landscape.

While some Lebanese factions see the plan as a potential path to stability and economic recovery, Hezbollah and its supporters view it as a strategic ploy to weaken the so-called “resistance axis” at a time when regional tensions remain high. The memory of the October 2023 conflict, in which Hezbollah launched attacks on Israeli positions in support of Hamas during the Gaza war, remains fresh—and underscores the risks of escalation should diplomatic efforts fail.

Outlook: Hope or Gridlock?

The U.S. proposal marks the most structured international attempt to chart a roadmap for peace in southern Lebanon since the 2006 war. It also raises critical questions: Can Lebanon achieve unity on such a controversial and transformative plan? Will Hezbollah accept a transition to a state-monopoly on arms? And can Israel be trusted to withdraw and uphold its commitments?

For now, the proposal remains a blueprint ambitious in scope but mired in deep political and ideological divides. As Lebanon grapples with political paralysis, economic collapse, and border instability, its future may hinge on whether it can reconcile national sovereignty with international expectations, and whether it can chart a credible path to peace without reigniting civil conflict.

Share This Article