Security guard killed defending San Diego mosque in hate crime shooting

Editor
5 Min Read
San Diego shooting 1

Ahmed Kamel – Egypt Daily News

World News

A deadly shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego in San Diego has left five people dead, including a security guard hailed as a hero after attempting to stop two teenage gunmen who opened fire at the mosque and Islamic school on Monday morning.

Authorities are treating the attack as a possible hate crime after the heavily armed suspects targeted one of the largest Muslim community centers in Southern California during daytime activities involving worshippers, staff, and children.

According to Scott Wahl, officers responded to reports of gunfire at around 11:40 a.m. local time at the mosque complex in the Clairemont neighborhood and arrived within four minutes. When police reached the scene, they discovered a deceased security staff member along with multiple victims outside the building.

The two suspected shooters believed to be aged 17 and 19, were later found dead inside a nearby vehicle from what investigators described as apparent self-inflicted gunshot wounds.

Authorities said a total of five people died in the attack, including the two teenage gunmen and three adult victims. “Because of the Islamic center’s location, we are considering it a hate crime until it’s not,” Wahl told reporters during an emotional press conference alongside federal investigators.

Mark Remily confirmed the suspects were teenagers but declined to release additional identifying details as the investigation remains active. Multiple injured victims were rushed to nearby hospitals as emergency responders activated disaster response protocols amid fears the casualty count could rise.

The extent of the victims’ injuries has not yet been fully disclosed.

The mosque’s imam, Taha Hassane, later confirmed that no children were physically harmed during the shooting despite the presence of students at the attached Al Rashid School, formerly known as the Islamic School of San Diego.

“The entire school is safe. All the kids, all the staff and the teachers are safe out of the Islamic Center,” Hassane said in a video statement shared online. He added that while several casualties had occurred, there was “no threat at this moment,” urging the public to stay away from the area as law enforcement secured the scene.

Terrifying scenes unfolded as police officers evacuated children from the building while frantic parents rushed toward the mosque after authorities established a reunification center at a nearby church. Witnesses described scenes of panic and confusion as families desperately searched for information about loved ones while heavily armed officers swept the area.

Aerial television footage showed emergency vehicles surrounding the mosque complex while a covered body could be seen lying outside the building. Authorities later confirmed the threat had been “neutralized” by approximately 4 p.m., though a massive police presence remained in place for hours afterward.

Road closures were implemented around Interstate 805 near Balboa Avenue while emergency shelters were established for residents and worshippers displaced by the attack.

San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria said he was closely monitoring the situation and praised emergency personnel responding to the crisis. California Governor Gavin Newsom also issued a statement thanking first responders and urging residents to follow law enforcement guidance.

The attack sent shockwaves through Muslim communities across the United States.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations confirmed that at least one member of the Islamic center had been killed during the shooting.

“No one should ever fear for their safety while attending prayers or studying at an elementary school,” the organization said in a statement while calling for prayers for the victims and their families.

The Islamic Center of San Diego is considered the largest mosque in San Diego County, serving roughly 5,000 members and functioning as both a religious and educational hub for the local Muslim community. Investigators are now working to determine the motive behind the attack, including whether the shooters had ties to extremist ideologies or targeted the mosque specifically because of its religious identity.

The killing of the security guard who authorities say died while trying to defend worshippers and students, has already become a symbol of courage amid one of the deadliest attacks on a Muslim institution in California in recent years.

Categories

Share This Article